Thursday 26 September 2013

New Bathroom Fittings - another variation to the contract

During design development, I didn't get too involved when it came to selecting the bathroom fittings. Our architect specified the lot, which included an exposed shower set for the bathroom and ensuite. The shower was like a modern take on the old-style exposed showers of yesteryear and it happens to be a model they have used on a lot of their projects.

Last week our plumber arrived on-site to start on the rough-in. The builder had already purchased the bathroom fixtures and when we pulled the shower set out of the box something other than what we had ordered was inside - and I didn't like it one bit. We later discovered that the manufacturer had changed the design without notifying anyone about it. So at the 11th hour I was sent into a tail spin in search for a replacement.

But rather than run around the stores with kids in tow, I jumped onto the computer and did a bit of on-line window shopping. I eventually settled on this Australian made shower set by Astra Walker:



It has a large 200mm rose and an adjustable hand shower for days when you don't want to wash your hair (and is very helpful when cleaning the shower as well.) I also changed the tapware specs for the wall hung basins so they match:



I had done some research on Astra Walker several years ago, and in fact I had chosen the bathroom fittings for our previous design from this very company. I have seen their products before so I feel comfortable about purchasing these items sight unseen (they offer very good warranties too.) They have an extensive range of products to suit all tastes and a huge selection of colours and finishes to choose from. For example here is the same shower in matt black:

And in aged brass:

All images via 

So another problem sorted thanks to internet shopping. Have you renovated your bathroom lately? Any favourite brand of fittings you'd like to share?

13 comments:

  1. Nice choice! We have always been impressed with the quality of Dorf tapware. I'm going with a traditional look so chose the Manor House range. Unfortunately this range doesn't include a slider bar shower set so like you I was on a last minute search for something that would match. I searched online and found a good match by Brodware in the Winslow range. Unfortunately there are none on display in Brisbane. I hope the style and quality matches up with the Dorf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I love it! (I must be getting old to get excited about taps!) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear I must be getting old too!! We did our new bathroom about 2 years ago. We live in a country town and I like to see things before I buy them (definately getting old) and we have two plumbing shops. We got just what I was looking for and they were on sale. I must say though that the black and brass fittings are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did all my bathroom research on line and once I was in store (with only one in tow!!) it made things so much easier. I developed quite a thing for tapware and love my big shower rose so much!! Bet you can't wait to enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that shower set you found, actually think the black looks quite striking. I am so relieved to not be doing a bathroom as part of the big reno, found all the decisions overwhelming as it is. We will probably tackle the bathroom in the next 2-3 years. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice. I'm storing that one away for renovation time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The aged brass shower fittings look nice, especially when paired with off-white or a hint or two of soft gray marble. Although finding a tub that fits that color scheme might be a bit hard.

    Lida

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page. Best Western electronics Curvehospitality provides extensive range of Casegoods,Seating,Lighting,Artwork,Bathroom fixtures,Electronics,Drapery and Flooring.It saving valuable space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Blog , This is what I exactly Looking for , Keep sharing more blog .

    Bathroom Renovation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.
    Taps

    ReplyDelete

  11. Hey, Wow all the posts are very informative for the people who visit this site. Good work! We also have a Website. Please feel free to visit our site. Thank you for sharing.
    Bathroom Renovation
    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found those to be luxurious bathroom accessories and I feel its a very good way of enhancing the beauty of the bathroom.https://tapron.co.uk/collections/black-bathroom-taps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply OUTSTANDING and stunning and glamorous, and beautiful!
    Reference: bamboo flooring in kitchen or bathroom

    ReplyDelete